Table of Contents
CivilTalk LLC ("Company", "we" or "us") respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the websitewww.civiltalk.com(the “Website”) and/or the mobile application (the “App”) (collectively, the "Services") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On the Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and the Services.
- Through the App, which provides dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and the Website.
- Through third party vendors that collect information you provide to them in order to facilitate registration on and use of the Services.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party; or
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Services.
Children Under the Age of 18
The Services are not intended for children under 18 years of age. No one under age 18 may provide any information to or on the Services. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on the Services or through any of its features, register on the Services, use any of the interactive features of the Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 18, please contact us at address provided below.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of the Services, including information:
- • By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, and date of birth ("personal information"), and if you are a tax-exempt organization using the Services, your business name, postal address, and e-mail address;
- • That is about you but individually does not identify you, such as GPS coordinates, password information, expiration dates of government identification, professional credentials, education credentials, and your topics of interest, topics of knowledge, preferences and connections to other users;
- • About the number of tokens you purchase, donate and/or award, to whom you donate and/or award tokens to, about who donates or awards tokens to you, and the balance of your tokens, and if you are a tax exempt organization, when you cash in your tokens and the value you receive from those tokens;
- • You provide when you use the Services, create or share content, and message or communicate with other users. This includes content and communications you provide to us and to other users when you use the Services;
- • About the people you are connected to and how you interact with them across the Services; and/or
- • About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access the Services, and usage details.
We collect this information:
- • Directly from you when you provide it to us or through one of our third party vendors, such as Stripe.
- • Automatically as you navigate through the Services. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
- • From third parties, for example, our business partners and third party vendors, that facilitate your registration and your use of the Services.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through the Services may include:
- • Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Services including registration and payment through third party vendors, such a Stripe. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Services, subscribing to our Services, or posting material on the Services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with the Services.
- • Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- • Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- • Your search queries on the Services.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the Services, or transmitted to other users of the Services (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted on the Services and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although you may set certain privacy settings for such information by logging into your account profile, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Services with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with the Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- • Details of your visits to the Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- • Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time on the Services (behavioral tracking). We do not track your behavior outside of the Website, e.g., on third party websites. By using the Services, you agree to the behavioral tracking on the Services. We do not offer an “opt-out” option for behavioral tracking.
The information we collect automatically is only statistical data and does not include personal information. It helps us to improve the Services and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- • Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- • Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Services according to your individual interests.
- • Speed up your searches.
- • Recognize you when you return to the Services.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about websites you visit, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present the Services and the contents to you.
- To work with third party vendors to perform the functions for which we engage them to present the Services.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To communicate with you, e.g., to provide you with notices about your account/subscription, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To provide you with notices about your account/subscription, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to the Services or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on the Services.
- To make recommendations to you regarding features on the Services, including, but not limited to, recommendations of other users to connect with, recommendations on topics or posts that may be of interest to you, and to otherwise personalize your experience with the Services.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please check the relevant box located on the registration form/adjust your user preferences in your account profile. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
We do not use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers' target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with a website that links from our Services, the website and any advertiser thereon may assume that you meet its target criteria.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third party vendors we use to support our business or to present the Services, including, e.g., Stripe.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of CivilTalk's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by CivilTalk about the Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the "email a friend" feature of the Services, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of CivilTalk LLC, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from the Company. If you do not wish to have your email address used by the Company to promote our own products or services, you can opt-out by checking the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data or at any other time by logging into the Services and adjusting your user preferences in your account profile by checking or unchecking the relevant boxes or by sending us an email stating your request to the contact information provided below. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions.
We do not control third parties' collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") on the NAI's website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Services and visiting your account profile page.
You may also contact us at the address below to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask for a notice identifying the categories of personal customer information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the address below.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of the Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Services like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Services.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to the Services. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Services.
PO Box 627
Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067
Last Modified: June 2022